In what ways does the IB encourage experiential learning?

The IB programme has a unique method for students to learn. Instead of simply requiring students to memorise bits of information, the programme encourages experiential learning.

Experiential learning certainly does play a large role in the IB courses. History, for instance, is an excellent example of a subject in which having experiential knowledge will definitely help. A person may start off not knowing how to write and construct a proper essay. The person may struggle with interpreting his research into his own words. However, after more practices, the person will be more confident and skilful. Instead, if the person merely memorises facts, this will not develop his or her inquiry skills and this person may not be able to write a constructive essay.

The CAS programme is something that can demonstrate individual learning skills. As students, we have to choose a learning outcome and try to achieve it after the completion of our selected activity. Everyone will have different outcomes and thus everyone will have a different approach to achieving their own goal. I, for example, chose volleyball as one of my CAS activities, and although other of my classmates chose this too, ultimately it is still an individual activity for myself, and what I hope to get out of this activity will most likely differ from what others expect to achieve.

The IB Programme encourages experiential learning in many different ways. It wants students to be able to think and analyse information critically, and enhance their skills as the course progresses. It does not wish to simply cram facts into students’ brains, but value students’ thoughts and opinions too which they have acquired themselves through their experiences.